Pages

Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Friday, August 6, 2010

Skype Officiant

I had a really lovely Skype meeting with our wedding officiant, Heather.  She's a close friend of ours...and currently living in Turkey.  Yeah.  That's kind of far away. We couldn't even video chat because her internet access hates it; the service was dropping the call every 10 minutes or so, too.
Still, it was wonderful.
Not only to catch up with an old friend, but it was so nice to catch her up on what is going on with the wedding plans (her internet also won't let her look at webpages....go figure).  I was thrilled to be able to tell her about all the decisions we'd made.  I did have to send Chris out of the room so that I could tell her about my dress.

The reason we made they Skype date was to have a conversation about the ceremony itself and what we wanted.  To be honest, beyond choosing her for our officiant, I had given almost no thought to the ceremony itself; I've been focusing on more or less everything else.

Heather started asking me questions about what we wanted, and, for the most part, I was considering them for the first time.  I don't know why I haven't been thinking so much about the actual getting-married part of the whole wedding deal.  Perhaps because I've just been assuming that there isn't much difference once the basics are decided.  Fortunately for me, however, Heather had been giving her duties some thought.  She asked about formality and tone (not formal, by the way), readings, vows, and introductions.
I think I don't add the details here, because I don't want to give everything away (not that anything about the ceremony will be shocking), but I will say that our ceremony follows these:

  1. Informal
  2. Non-religious
  3. Short
  4. Fun
  5. Personal
  6. Self-written vows
Also, when we were talking, the sense of the impending nature of the wedding continued to build within me.  Even now, as I type, I can feel myself tearing up at the thought of getting to marry Christopher.  Thinking about the words I want to say to Christopher on the day that I make those life-long promises, I am overwhelmed by all we have had together and all I anticipate we will have.  I'm sure I'll have more to say about this later, as I get to the actual place where I'll be putting pen to paper (paper that may well be covered in ink smudged by tears).

I am so excited about having Heather marry us; I wouldn't have anyone else.   She's been my friend for 7 years, Chris' for 4, and she was there the moment we first met one another.  I can't wait to see what she does, and I can't wait to marry my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment